- Trustee, Sonoma Valley Unified School District (2016-).
- Member, Richard M. Sangster American Inn of Court (2007-), Membership Committee (2020-).
- Member (2003-), Chair, Business & IP Section (2020-), Board of Directors (2020-), Sonoma County Bar Association.
- Member (2017-), Chair, Endorsements Committee (2019-), Sonoma County Democratic Central Committee.
- Chair, City of Sonoma Budget Advisory Committee (2005-6).
- Chair, City of Sonoma Community Services & Environment Commission (2004-6).
John graduated from UCLA in 1997, with degrees in history and political science, earning his Bachelor's degree in three years. He graduated from Santa Rosa's Cardinal Newman High School in 1994, where he was all-league as a linebacker, and captain of the defense for the Cardinals' football team. John is a regular player of recreational soccer, and enjoys watching football, and drinking wine. John has three daughters, Siena (14), Allegra (12), and Margaux (5).
- J.D., University of California, Berkeley, 2002.
- B.A., University of California, Los Angeles, 1997.